Monday, December 21, 2009

Premature Munchkin and Jaundice

As Aduka was a premature baby, he was sent to the special care nursery soon after his birth so they can monitor him closely. Jaundice kicks in soon after and what was expected to be a couple of days became a week at the hospital for the poor baby. Jaundice in premature babies can be harmful therefore affected babies need special care and light treatment to prevent it from spreading too much. I was on the other hand pretty skeptical about a lot of things including this. Excuse me, I had jaundice when I was a baby and I managed quite well at home, thank you. Aduka was given the light treatment when he was a day old but they insisted in keeping him at the nursery until the jaundice level goes down.

Oh well, I do want the best for my munchkin.

CIMG0291

Light treatment for jaundice at the nursery. I almost teared seeing him like this. He looks so fragile and his heels are sore from the blood tests.

CIMG0297

Puffy face Duke

CIMG0301

With mommy. Drained out yet blissfully happy.

No comments: